About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Passover Seder Banquet

Sunday night our church hosted a Passover Seder Banquet to learn more about what Jesus would have experienced at the last supper and gain a deeper appreciation for how we view communion services on Sunday mornings.  
It was incredibly enlightening!!
 Brian Crawford with the Chosen People ministries came and spoke to us.
He explained the Seder plate and what each item represents.  
What I love about these Jewish customs are how they teach the children who they are and where they've come from.  Seder is the Hebrew word for order.  



We learned about the significance of the cup of wine and the new covenant.  

and the significance of the matzo bread being striped and pierced and then broken to foreshadow the crucifixion of Christ.  

  Everything looked so pretty!  

It took several weeks of planning and preparing and lots of hard work to cook and serve, but those of us on the planning committee worked together and accomplished it all!! 
My role was preparing activities for the kids.  
 
I made these Passover kits to illustrate the story of the ten plagues of Egypt.

First was a strip of red fabric to represent the water turned to blood.
Second was the plague of frogs
Third was the plague of gnats so I used the sticky hands to represent swatting at the gnats.

Fourth was the flies and I found these at the Dollar Tree.

Fifth was the diseased livestock.

Sixth was the boils. I used band-aids to represent these.

Seventh was the hail storm.  I used Styrofoam balls.

Eighth was the plague of locusts.  I couldn't find anything to represent locusts but I finally found a coloring page with locusts, so I shrunk it down and rolled it up with a crayon.

The ninth plague was darkness.  This one a little tricky but I found these glow sticks at the Dollar Tree.

And last was the death of the firstborn.  I found these ugly babies at Hobby Lobby.  

All ten plagues in one easy-to-tell format! 
I also put together a fort-building kit to represent the 40 years of wandering in the wilderness.  
I think everything went over well.  

If you ever have a chance to attend a Seder Banquet I would highly recommend it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment