About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Change is Coming

I'm lucky I got this shot.
The very next day the wind blew so hard every.single.leaf...GONE!
Just like that. (imagine me snapping my fingers with a slight pause for dramatic effect)

Everything changes.
Sometimes things change quickly and the thought makes me shudder. 
Sometimes God graciously gives us glimpses of what lies ahead to help us prepare.  

Like even though we didn't know Maddie would have Down Syndrome when she was born, we knew at 20 weeks gestation things may be "abnormal." 
(if you are new to the blog, you can read about her birth story here)

I've had a series of conversations lately that may very well be foreshadowing changes to come. 
Maddie is thriving in her developmentally delayed classroom at the public school.  
 
To say I was a little hesitant to put her in public schools is a big understatement. 
I was really scared.  
But we had no choice.
So, reluctantly, I enrolled her.
 
It's been the best decision of the year!
 
One of the reasons every parent with a special needs child fears public school is the issue of bullying.
My first conversation occurred with a mom who has twin girls with developmental delays.
They are older than Maddie but still in school.  
 
She very wisely told me, "Bullying is inevitable. But it's not about the bully or the victim.  It's really about the friends surrounding the victim that create a buffer.  Surround Maddie with good friends and she'll be fine."

Wow!

I had never, ever thought of that.  
Her words kept mulling around in my brain as I continued to think about it.  

Then, a friend sent this article she read and thought of me. (thanks Carol!)
It completely reiterated the exact same idea!  

My third conversation happened while volunteering at Hope Pregnancy Center. I happened to run into another volunteer,  a Grandma of an 18-year-old girl with Down Syndrome.  
We had a moment to visit and she shared with a weary heart how the gap between typical developing children and children with Down Syndrome widens the older they get.

I had never really thought of that either.  
Right now, we know Maddie is behind, but she fits in just fine and it feels like her and her peers are more alike than different.
 
I wanted to live with the hope that Maddie would never be bullied and life would never be hard, but that kind of thinking does nothing to help Maddie.  
At some point we have to accept the realities that there will always be insensitive, ignorant people that will pick on the vulnerable. 
We also have to accept at some point Maddie and her friends are going to notice the differences between them.

So even though it may not be easy and we may see hard times ahead, I feel comforted knowing God will equip us with everything we need to endure.



As a takeaway from my life lessons, I would encourage you if you are hesitant or worried about what the future may hold, open your heart to God and trust that he will equip us with everything we need. : ) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment