About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Life Interrupted

Thank you to everyone who checked in on us and offered help in any way!
We are truly blessed!

I've lived in Oklahoma all my life.
Took shelter from tornado storms countless times and have always came away spared.

This was the first time to actually live through one.

My neighbor knocked on the door wanting to know if they could join us in the storm shelter.
(Thank you Lord! I was just thinking we were in for some rain)

Shortly after that, the sirens went off.
I grabbed shoes for Maddie and a sweater, and the ipad.

Luckily, last night we installed an News 5 app.  
We were able to watch the live stream and know what was going on.  

We knew the tornado had touched down in Newcastle, about 30 minute drive from our house.
Then we knew it was in Moore at 19th and Santa Fe, one mile south and probably 5 miles west.  

Maddie, Terrie, Ethan, and I were in the shelter but we hadn't closed the lid yet.  
I was texting as many people as I could to let them know we were in the shelter.  

Kyle's sister, Jacinda lives a few streets from us in the same neighborhood.
I tried calling and calling and couldn't get through.
I had to resort to texting to tell her to come and get in the shelter.  

We couldn't wait any longer and had to close up.

Maddie was scared, but brave. 
She buried her whole body into my lap and held on for dear life. 

The noise started with rumblings.
We knew it was heading straight towards us.

The noise got louder and louder and angrier.
All I could think of was Jacinda.
We heard metal twisting and turning.  
And then it softened.

We stayed in a wee bit longer to make sure it had all passed.  
When Ethan tried to open the lid, it was jammed.  
Just as we were fumbling around with the pully-thing, our neighbor from across the street was there.
He shoved off what was on top and pushed the lid open.  
Thank you Travis!!

Our house was hit, but still standing.  My neighbors four houses down couldn't say the same. 

The devastation was numbing and I was so scared of what I would find.
 

I had to get to Jacinda. 
With Maddie in my arms I ran as fast as I could to her house.
I was a wreck.  

I found her house was still standing, and I banged on the door.
Thank God, she opened it!  
We hugged and cried and cried and then I hit her for not coming to the shelter!!

As soon as we were together, I began trying to call to get the word out we were OK.
I tried to call Kyle first, but there was no answer.

I only had a short window of time for calls to get through and then we had to resort to texts.  
Somehow, a call from Randy, a good family friend from Woodward came through.  
I asked him to call Kyle and let him know we were all OK.  
He was able to get through.

 There was a small area in the living room with no glass in the carpet for Maddie to get down.
It's amazing how resilient children are.  
She went about her day, playing with the toys that were still on the kitchen table.  

I packed up overnight bags.
Kyle made it home, and we came to our friend's house for the night.
Thank you Megonigle's!!

Here's a few pictures.
We'll begin clean up as soon as we can get back in the neighborhood.  

















Our neighbor's just 4 up to the north.


I'm praying for all those families who were not as fortunate to have all of their loved ones safe and sound!






 

4 comments:

  1. My sister-in-law, Jennifer Thompson shared your site with us. Thank you for sharing your story and thank God that you are all okay. Please know that you and your community are being showered with thoughts and prayers of safety, peace, healing and love from around the world. Sending love and hugs from Myrtle Beach, SC.
    ~ Kristi Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister, Jennifer Mindedahl, shared your blog with me. We went to school with Kyle and our parents worked together for years. I've known his family my entire life. So grateful you are all safe. My family will be praying for your family and your community in the weeks and months to come as you all start to clean up and rebuild.
    - Megan (Hager) Riggs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to school with Kyle's brother, Ryan, and I saw your blog on his wall. I wanted to say that we are all praying for you, Kyle, your family, your neighbors and their families and your community as a whole. I thank God your family was safe and protected. We will continue to send love and prayers for time to come. God will provide, protect and surround you with loved ones to help when you. You have a beautiful family and I will be praying for continued strength and guidance to get you all through this difficult time. God bless. <3
    Melinda (Damet) Vandruff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I had goosebumps reading your post. So thankful you guys are ok. Praying for you and the upcoming months.

    ReplyDelete