About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lessons Learned

It would be a pity to go through what we've gone through and not learn some life lessons along the way.
I've always thought some lessons can only be learned through pain, and this is definitely true, but the lessons I'm learning now amidst the pain have more to do with healing.

Biggest lesson learned so far:
I'm not as strong as I thought I was.

It's scary and humbling to know you are not who you thought you were.
My spirit was so out of sorts and I didn't even recognize it until church on Sunday. 
It was an incredible service that had be in tears the entire time.  
 I finally realized then that I was trying to do only what God can do.
As soon as I repented and turned things over, everything changed. 

Second biggest lesson learned:
The importance of getting to know your neighbors.

We're all in this together and the bonds we have developed this past week have been beautiful.
Even though it's rough driving back to the house and seeing everything every day, I still look forward to see if my neighbors are there.
I'm surrounded by good people. 

I feel guilty though, because I've had small talk conversations with a few of my neighbors up the street who have no house left, but no contact information or way to check on them to make sure they are ok.

Next big lesson learned:
Love heals.

Even though it's listed third, this is a big one.  
I'm not sure what's been more overwhelming - the devastation of the storm or the kindness and generosity of friends and strangers.
We have definitely felt very well taken care of.  
I'm not sure I can adequately thank all of you for all you have done for us.  
I'm still processing it all, it's just so amazing!
Thank you so much!

1 comment: