About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Disney World Trip Report Day 1 of 12

Hey guys!  
We're back!!!
We had the most amazing time on our vacation to Florida.  
First we drove to Pensacola and stayed a couple of nights on the beach and then we made our way to
 Walt Disney World!!

I decided to give trip reports day by day so it won't be too overwhelming...plus we took TONS of pictures.
I doubt I could fit them all in one post!

And before I jump into the trip report details here's a couple of tips that I found extremely helpful:
1) save up your money and splurge!  
This helps so much when you are actually there to not have to worry about what things cost because, let's face it...Walt Disney World is expensive.  But knowing that the money was already in the bank really helped me to enjoy everything so completely.  

2) plan plenty of time to be there for more flexibility
I think this is important especially with little ones.  We had a total of 7 days in the parks and it was wonderful to leave in the afternoon when Maddie needed a nap, or it was raining, or it was getting hot.  Knowing we could always come back REALLY helps.  Not to mention how helpful it is to maximize your time not standing in lines (more on that later)!!   

So, we began our little trek at 2:15 Monday morning, April 29th.  
We intended for Maddie to sleep most of the first leg.  
She woke up at 4:30 am!! 
But it was of course still dark outside and she just sat there quietly. 
I dozed on and off but woke up just in time for the glorious sunrise at 6:47 am!

I had also put together some road trip tunes. 
It just so happened that Lucky Diaz and the Family band began singing, "Here Comes the Sun" to create the perfect moment!  

We stopped and had breakfast at a Cracker Barrel in Louisiana. 

Lunch was at a local restaurant in Mississippi.  
 Maddie had noodles and rice and fruit.  Three of her favorite foods...of which she ate none of it! 
 I had red beans and rice.  I asked the waiter about this dish and he asked me if I liked ham hock. I said yes, but had NO IDEA it would be that big!
Kyle had a shrimp po boy and oysters on the half shell.

Maddie stayed awake the entire day until finally around 4:00 she dozed off. 

She slept for about 2 hours which was perfect because we drove through a pretty rough rain storm during that time and she woke up just in time to arrive in Pensacola!  

When we got there Maddie had a one track mind....SWIMMING!!
The weather was overcast and a little chilly but we didn’t have the heart to tell her no.  She was SOOOO excited!  We swam for an hour or so and then headed back up to the room to get ready for dinner. 

We ate at Peg Leg Pete's for dinner.  

This was my first time ever to eat oysters on the half shell.  
I have to admit, as gross as they look, they were surprisingly delicious!

Here's a couple of my favorite pictures from our first day...

Kyle took this shot! 



No comments:

Post a Comment