About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Advent Activities

Amazingly, I had my stuff together this year and we have been doing advent activities with Maddie each day.  
I bought the Truth in the Tinsel e-book this year and it is absolutely perfect for us. 
Each day there is a scripture to read and an ornament to make all of which takes maybe 30 minutes at the most.  
If you don't think you can do an ornament a day, she has the highlights to focus on (love that this mom gets it!)
What I love most about it is the fact that 
1) it's geared for younger children
2) the focus is on Jesus and not Santa Claus
Maddie may not completely understand everything but it's still on her level and I think she's picking up lots of bits and pieces!  

So, first we set up our advent stockings...

I made these a couple of years ago using Martha Stewart's pattern.

Then, each night Maddie pulls out the topic for the night hidden in the stocking.
We read a scripture and then make an ornament. 

Day 1:  Jesus is the Light

Day 2:  Jesus is King
So, this night we read the scripture, but I was too tired to get everything set up for a craft.  That's the great thing about this...you can do as much or as little!!

Day 3:  The Story of Zechariah
haha...this one makes me laugh it's just so darn cute!
Because he was unable to talk until John was born, you use one bubble from the bubble packing sheet for his mouth.  
So Clever!

I don't know who's having more fun...me or Maddie! : )  

The other thing we are doing is reading a book before bedtime.
I've wrapped all of our Christmas books with a number and each night Maddie gets to open the present and we read the book right before bedtime.  
Clean Mama Printables offers the advent tags free on her blog!!
I first read about this on Counting Coconuts blog a couple of years ago.
Despite my best efforts in collecting 25 different Christmas books, I am still a few short.
So, I guess I'll re-wrap some favorites and use them again!!


1 comment:

  1. I am with you. I don't know who is having more fun with TITT, me or my girls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete