About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Volunteering at Hope

Thursday I was completely spent.  
It was one of those crazy, busy days but not in a fun way.
We had to pick up our vehicle from the repair shop which was supposed to be ready at 1:00.  
At 1:30, I'm still in the car with Maddie waiting as Kyle finished up inside.  
I have a meeting I'm supposed to attend at 2:00 which was at least 15 minutes away and probably more like 20.  

Finally, Kyle comes back at 1:45...barely enough time to rush to my meeting.  
As I hop in my newly refurbished vehicle, I realize I haven't had a bite to eat all day...just one green smoothie that morning that had long since depleted my satiety. 

Desperate for nourishment, I find two saltine crackers and a fruit bar stashed in my purse for Maddie.  
I dash away only to discover the stupid parking lot has cars everywhere and there's only one way in and one way out.  

ARRGGHH!

After 10 precious minutes trying to get out of the stupid parking lot, I'm on my way to the meeting.  
I will now be at least 10 minutes late and probably 15, but hoped they are late getting started.  

I arrive late to find the meeting in full swing...sigh.

As I sit in the meeting, trying to get my bearings I realize I have to be at Hope Pregnancy Center by 5:15 to volunteer to take newborn pictures.  
Surely I'll have time to grab a bite to eat on the way.  

At 4:45 the meeting was still going on and I have no choice but to rush out.

I speed home, grab my camera gear and a slab of cheese and head out the door.  

As I'm driving I'm scolding myself wondering why in the world I do this.  
Life would be so much easier if I just didn't volunteer for these things!  

I'm just hoping things go easily and quickly so I can just get home and relax.  

And then...I walk in through the door.

I'm greeted by familiar, friendly, smiling faces happy to see me.

I exhale and forget all my worries.  

We pray before the clients arrive and a peace takes over.  

Somehow I am transported into a blissful, serene, state of mind and I feel right at home.  

The first mommy arrives and the flashes won't fire. seriously?

Troubleshooting as best I could, we try all of our options until finally I think to replace the batteries in the wireless transmitter and transceiver.  

We are on a roll now.  

But I had no idea what blessings were in store for me until the next Momma showed up.  

I wish I could share these pictures with you, but I don't have permission.  

She was from Ghana and as we were making fools of ourselves trying to get a smile from her precious son, she begins to speak to him.  
She speaks in her native Ghana and then repeats the phrase in English.  
He responds to her with delight in his eyes and a quick grin.

It was the most beautiful thing.  

I had to stop and express how beautiful it was to hear her native language.  

She tried to teach me a phrase...ummm...yeah.
Instead, we settled on the name Jesus.  
She repeated it, until I was finally able to clumsily utter it.

I'm so grateful for this moment I got to experience and share with her.  
I hate that I really can't express with words the impact of it.  

I drove there with a heavy heart and a selfish perspective.  
I left there light hearted, renewed, and rejuvenated.  

I think this verse says what I'm unable to...
Luke 6:38
"Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."

It's one of those tender moments in life that really stand out like the a bright spot of light shining in the darkness. The contrast of the busyness of the day and taking time to stop and cease the moment.  

I'm so taken by the fact that I try and give to show my gratitude and do my part (even though sometimes I don't always feel that way) 
and God is so loving and kind 
that He gives even MORE back to ME.  

What kind of God is this?

I'm gratefully awed and inspired. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment