About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Humbly Changed

Maddie's back home! 
It's been 4 weeks ago Monday since the tornado.
Maddie has been staying with my family in Woodward and Sunday was the first time she's been back.  
We've been really concerned about minimizing her exposure to all of the stress and day to day details of putting things back together.  

We've missed her so much and the original plan was to bring her back when everything was completely finished, however, we are still way too far out to be completed and I knew I couldn't wait that long so she's back for now.    

Of course I'm not able to get as much anything done, but we are having fun!  

I've been going back and forth, spending a few days in Woodward; coming home and working a few days on what needs to get done.  
Even when we check things off, it seems the list is always long.  

We are making progress though!  

I've been trying to figure out how in the world to effectively convey in writing the emotion of an experience I will always take with me.  
Honestly, I'm still processing it.  

A college friend of mine noticed on Facebook that we had been affected by the tornado. 
She sent me a message and let me know that she had a friend who heard about our story and wanted to help.
They came with not just a couple of things for Maddie, but 5 dresses, 5 pairs of shorts, 5 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, 1 skirt, and 3 pairs of shoes!!
Everything was brand-new from Old Navy and super cute!!

It turns out her friend, Kathryn, was the sister of the one of the mothers who died at the 7-Eleven.
The daughters, Jenna and Alyson wanted to reach out and help us.

I couldn't believe it.

I was humbled and changed.

I don't really know how to wrap my mind around this except that I know there is a lot of healing in the act of giving.  With that in mind, it was the only way I could humbly accept such a kind and generous gift.
Here is a family reeling with loss, reaching out to give not out of surplus but need.
The only thing they asked in return was to see pictures of Maddie in her cute outfits.
That I can do!
I love their hearts and their kind spirits which I'm guessing is a part of their mother they carry on inside them.
I'm sure she is so proud of them both!!!
We love you Teenager and Alyson! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment