About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

One Perfect Solution

Don't you love it when you are wondering how you are going to accomplish something and then you stumble upon the perfect solution!!

That's what happened a couple of weeks ago for me.  
I was talking with my sister and asking advice on what activities to do with Maddie, how to structure our days, etc.  
She had some good advice...keep it simple.  30 minutes Monday, Wednesday, and Friday sometime between 2-4pm.  
It was brilliant.  
I have a bad habit of thinking things have to be too complex and they have to include this and that and then I can't do this if I don't also include that, and oh yeah, what about this, wouldn't it be fun if I could also work that in, etc.
So, consequently not much ever gets accomplished because I make projects far bigger than they should be.  
So, I had my structure in place, but what to do?  

And then I found this blog, Motherhood on a Dime
 
She has already developed curriculum meant for preschoolers for a total time of 30-45 minutes 4 days a week!!
Perfect. 
Not only does she include skills like letters, numbers, counting, etc; but she also includes a bible lesson.
Super Perfect.
home preschool curriculum

Oh yeah and it's FREE!!
Super Duper Perfect.

We began week 2 this week.  
Here's the teaching basket of supplies I gathered...

We talked about the creation story and sang the days of creation. 
Every time I try to sing to Maddie, she puts her hand up and says, "no, no, no"
Smart girl, she knows bad singing when she hears it! : )  
So, we watched it on youtube instead.

Then we talked about how God made a beautiful garden.  
And beautiful gardens begin with tiny seeds.  


And then we "planted" our seeds to watch how they sprout...

Then we read Lois Ehlert's Planting a Rainbow.



We also worked on zippers.  Maddie did really well with this one!  Which is great because it's one of the skills on her Individualized Education Plan (IEP) at school.  

I'm really trying to encourage her to dress herself too. 
She still needs some help with pants but she manages her shirts all by herself.
She somehow gets them turned inside out and backwards, but hey...it's on!!










No comments:

Post a Comment