About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Summer of Sleep Studies and Surgery

Maddie has to have a sleep study and then surgery to remove her tonsils and adenoids.  
She began snoring a few months ago so I suspected she may have sleep apnea, which is really common for kids with Down Syndrome.  

The solution for sleep apnea is to remove the tonsils and adenoids.  
There just isn't enough room for them all to coexist since everything is smaller than usual (except the tonsils).

We have a really great doctor, so we know she'll be in good hands.  
It's still nerve-wracking.  
I remember hearing about a little boy with Down Syndrome in Tulsa, OK who died after having a tonsillectomy. 
I know from experience there's no such thing as "minor surgery."

Her sleep study is next week and we will schedule the surgery sometime later.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment