About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, June 6, 2014

Snow in June!

My Mother-in-law told me about the blog Growing a Jeweled Rose.
It is chock-full of really fun ideas to do with your kiddos.  
What I really like about it is so many of the ideas are sensory oriented...totally speaking Maddie's language!
We made their Frozen Snow recipe the other day.
If your kids are crazy about the movie Frozen, like Maddie, she has a ton of activities relating to the movie on her blog!!!

The recipe was quick and easy and since we used hair conditioner, it smelled divine!
We didn't have the Frozen figurines she uses, but since we just visited the Kansas City Zoo and met the penguins, we threw some penguin figurines into our frozen snow for some fun!


This is one of those late-in-the-afternoon-how-much-longer-till-Daddy-comes-home activities.  
It takes hardly any time to mix up, simple enough for little hands to help create, and then you just take it out on a nice day, grab the camera, and before you know it, you realized you have survived yet another long, summer afternoon! :) 


It feels cool...(pun intended!)

It made us happy!

until, oops, we flung it up and got a little in our mouth...yuck!



After awhile, Maddie realized what's good for the hands and arms was also good for the feet!

And what's good for the hands, arms, and feet, is really good for the whole body!

And most often, sensory play totally mellows her.  
What her body doesn't do for her normally with sleep/wake regulation cycles, sensory play helps achieve somewhat of the same result. 

I originally thought this would last awhile, but for us, about an hour of great sensory play is all we got! Every bit of it was poured out on the patio!

Good thing it's simple and easy to make!  
Will definitely keep this idea on the "I think we've had enough T.V., let's do something fun!" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment