About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pick-a-Stick

I've really been trying to curb Maddie's enthusiasm for all things Elmo, Curious George, and Winnie the Pooh (AKA T.V.)
The ideal day would still include two hours of T.V.  She gets to watch it first thing in the morning, and in the evening while I'm cooking dinner.  I have to admit though, lately we've been watching waaaaaay too much!

I've had some experience trying to eradicate bad habits, and I know it's much easier when you replace a bad habit with a better one.  
I was reading another mommy blog and got the inspiration for this idea (I try and link back when I can, but unfortunately I forgot where I read this!)

Of course I always have to give things little names so I call it, "Pick a Stick!"  


When Maddie asks for " Melmo, Peeeeeeese?" (translation: "Elmo, please?")  It's the "peeeeeeese" that gets me every time!  But now instead of giving in, I can say let's pick a stick!  It's been working great so far. 

Yesterday, she picked water play.





and a basting activity..
I like this one!  She uses the baster to transfer the water from one bowl to the next.  The rag is there to wipe up any spills.  It's a great fine motor activity and setting the bowls up left to right prepares her for reading.

Other activities in our Pick a Stick jar include:
Puzzles
Music (another favorite of mine!)
Water color
Crayons
Markers
Puppets
Dress-up
Read books
Cars
Sponge Transfer (like basting activity, only she squeezes a sponge instead)

Counting:

One-to-One Correspondence:
Still working on this one...there are six cotton balls (snow balls) for the six compartments in the muffin tin, but Maddie just likes to cram them all into one!  
  

I love that she even gets excited when she sees the jar on the table!!  

It's always the simple things in life!

So, does anyone have any other good ideas for our Pick-a-Stick jar? 
I think (hope) we'll be using this for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment