About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

We're Blooming and Remembering

This is our special cherry tree given to Maddie from her Grandpa Schasteen.  It honors Maddie's Great Grandma Schasteen who passed away in 2004. 
I get sad when I think Maddie's Great Grandma Schasteen and her Great Grandpa Hunter (my maternal grandpa) will never get to meet her.  Of all the people I have known in my lifetime, these two would have been the two to swallow her up with love and laughter.  I know they both would have made an impact in her life because they did mine.  I miss them both so much. 
I only knew Grandma Schasteen for a few short years before she died, but what a treasure those years are. I am going to make sure Maddie knows how tasty Grandma Schasteen's food was...especially her cherry pie.  I'm going to make sure she knows the pretty lavender that smells so lovely in our backyard was first planted by her hands.  I'm going to make sure knows how big her heart was, that she loved to garden, she loved nature, and she loved all of us very much.

And as for Grandpa Hunter...well, his personality is so big this little post couldn't handle it!  He taught me to enjoy life, put family first, and laugh...mostly at yourself!  All things I hope to teach Maddie as well.
The ironic thing is Grandma Schasteen and Grandpa Hunter actually had a lot in common.  They were both hard workers who loved their gardens passionately! 
I think it's rare that we get to encounter amazing people like them and they are certainly worthy of being remembered.  We planted a cherry tree to remember.
How do you remember your loved ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment