About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

She Did It!!!


We had a breakthrough yesterday!  

It's been a work in progress for about a year and a half!!

And yesterday....She did it!!
She put her shirt on all by herself!

Our journey began when she was about 2 yrs. old.  
Her therapist asked me if she was helping dress herself.  
Not even close!!
So, we began working on it.  
At first I would put her shirt over her head and ask if she could find the sleeves.  
We did this for many, many months.
And then, before long I didn't have to ask anymore...as soon as I put the shirt over her head she would get her little arms moving, searching for the hole.  

Then, we moved on to finding the bottom of the shirt. 
We talked about how there are special holes for her head, and other, smaller holes for her arms. 

Yesterday we were working on sitting on the potty. Maddie has decided everything must be taken off in order to sit on the potty.  
This gave us lots of opportunities to practice putting her shirt back on.  

And all of a sudden, she had done it!!  
Her shirt was on!
It was inside out, but I wasn't about to correct that!  
That will be a lesson for another day...today we celebrate : ) 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Way to go Sam, we need to work on that on at our house yet.

    Could send me a note about where you are located, your photography is amazing. I don't think you are near Florida by looking at your pictures though.

    ReplyDelete