About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, April 20, 2012

All or Nothing

We have gone two full days without a single minute of T.V.!!
(well, for Maddie...Kyle and I watch a little bit after Maddie goes to bed)

We've been spending most of our time outside, playing hide-n-seek in the bushes

or gathering up our first strawberries of the season!


Even though it's usually pretty rough the first few days of no T.V., I always love the outcome. 
 We are constantly cycling through the same patterns. 
I'll get busy (or lazy) and we'll increase our T.V. time.  One more show, leads to just one more show, which leads to just one more! Until it seems like the entire day is spent in front of the telly.  
This affects Maddie in a big way.  
Her entire demeanor and attitude changes.  She becomes easily frustrated.  Her temper tantrums increase in quantity and volume.  
Her attention span is like 5 seconds long.  
I've decided its really not worth the reprieve it gives me to get things done.  
So the next step in the cycle is cutting back T.V. time.  
Which at first will still lead to temper tantrums and it takes some time to re-adjust.  
We get to the golden stage of good behavior, increased creativity, longer attention spans only to fall back into the T.V. trap!!  
I really hope this time we can leave the T.V. off.
I've struggled with how much if OK and finally realized for us...it's all or nothing!!
Seems extreme sometimes when I think about it, but I know it's what will be best for Maddie. 
I'm working on a plan for the summer that I hope to get finished soon.  
Each week we will focus on a theme with fun activities and some sort of field trip at the end of the week.  
Hopefully some of you can join us for our summer fun!!  
More details to come... : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment