About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

AHH! Creeper Alert!

A lot of people may be surprised to know that I was SUPER shy when I was little.  
I was scared of everybody!  
Kindergarten teacher?  Scared!  Moms of friends? Scared!  Dads of friends?  REALLY scared!
Strangers?  Off the charts scared!

I've come a LONG way with trust issues.  
It wasn't until I was in college that I realized by keeping strangers at a distance I was probably missing out on some great friendships.  
I worked really hard to put my fears aside and open up and trust strangers more.  
I can say my life has been much fuller since then.  

So, you can imagine when that scared feeling bubbles up I have difficulty discerning if it's my issues or theirs!

I got the major creeper alert this morning while picking a few things up for Maddie's birthday party.  
It didn't take me long to trust my gut instinct and feel the fear.   
I was at the dollar store and I grabbed a couple of hula hoops, a tablecloth, and was looking around for anything else I might need.  
Then I saw the creeper looking at me.  
He seemed a little too interested.  
He said hi.
I said hi and quickly moved on the next aisle.  
He moved too.  
Creeper:  "You going to be doing some hula hooping?"
I wanted to make sure he knew I had a family... Me "No this is for my little one."
Creeper: "I've heard hula hooping is good exercise.  Really works to slim your waist."


The conversation seems innocent enough, but it was more the way he was looking at me that gave me the creeps.  

yuck.

I quickly make my final selections and headed to the front to check out.  
He follows.  

I couldn't get out of there fast enough!!
I wasn't brave enough to make any more eye contact and I just wanted to run away really, really fast like in my dreams (on a side note...no one can ever out run me in my dreams. I'm always lightening fast for some reason!)

Maybe it's coincidence, but last weekend I lost one of the diamonds in my wedding ring and the prong pokes out now and stabs my middle finger so I had to quit wearing it until I get it fixed.  

It wasn't high on my priority list but it is now!
  I need all the creeper- repellent- powers at my disposal!

Have you guys ever had that creeper alert go off in your head?  
How did you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment