About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, January 4, 2013

It's Cancer...

I took Gracie to the vet yesterday to get her stitches taken out.  

We found out the tumor they removed was cancerous. 
  The good news is it appears they were able to remove all of it.
The bad news is, it was graded a 2, which means it could have already spread.
And...
She already has another lump on her back.
We are monitoring it for 2 weeks and if it grows, it needs to be taken out.

I didn't have the courage to ask the vet what would happen if it needs to be removed and we can't.  

It looks like we will be making some hard decisions soon.  

At what point do you decide you can't spend more money?
At what point do you weigh the quality of life with a little more time?

Is it more humane to let her go or do everything you can to extend her life?  

This is where the lines of nature taking its course and nature becoming a part of the family gets blurred.  
I'm going to be so sad when she's gone!
I'm sure we'll have several more months with her, but I doubt there will be many years. 
I don't even know how to begin preparing myself for this.

I guess I'll start by refraining from telling Maddie, "Let's go home and see Gracie!"
It's my go-to line to get her excited about leaving a place when she would rather stay.
It works every time : )
And Maddie trots in and proclaims, "Hey Gace, we home!" 

I know many of you have been in this situation before.  
I really would love any and all advice you could offer!
How do you say a long good-bye?   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment