About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Product Photography - Homemade Dishwashing Soap

I've been making my own dishwashing and laundry soap for a couple of years now.
A friend needed the recipe the other day and I realized I should share it on the blog.
Plus, it gives me a chance to practice product photography.
Product photography certainly isn't the most fun or exciting, but I've been playing around with it because you can really learn a lot about the light and I've been studying "subject centric lighting." 
Plus, all the products are very cooperative and hold the poses really well. : )

So, to get started you only need these four ingredients...all of which can be found at Wal-Mart.  
1)Borax (of coarse)
2)Washing Soda
3)Lemi Shine
4)Kosher Salt

Here's the recipe:
2 C. Borax
2 C. Washing Soda
2 C. Lemi Shine
1 C. Kosher Salt
Mix all ingredients into a bowl...

And put them in containers of your choice...
AND...that's it!!

Use 1 Tablespoon per load and use white vinegar as a rinsing agent.  

Easy Peasy!

I use these containers from Penzeys (2 cup size)
I have 3 of them.
 I half the recipe above and it's enough to fill 2 containers.
  That way, when I have two empty containers, it gives me plenty of time to make up the recipe (not that it takes too much time, but anyway) and I use the third container to ensure I never run out of soap. 

So, go make some...
Your budget will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment