About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Life Lessons


This week I will start teaching Maddie the story of Baby Jesus.  As I was thinking about the birth of Christ, I also began thinking about what a short time he lived; just 33 years.  I'll be 33 next March.  When I was 20 years old, I was fortunate enough to have a near death experience.  I say fortunate because once you have that conversation with God, you are never the same when you realize the grace he has granted.  I went in for a standard out-patient surgery to take care of my endometriosis, but an infection from the surgery nearly killed me. But it didn't, and now the words "I love you" come more readily.  Hugs are held longer and tighter. Life feels different, more precious. 
There is so much I want to teach my baby girl.  We'll start this week with who Jesus is, but I have gathered a few gems in my short life so far.  This is what I hope she learns:
Tell the people who matter in your life you love them.
Resolve differences.
Forgive yourself.
Face your fears.
Think about those who have impacted your life and thank them.
Express yourself.
Leave a legacy.
Write your thoughts.
Take lots of pictures.
Pursue passions.
Cease the day.
Love your life.
Be grateful.
Simplify.
Celebrate differences.
Honor God.
Walk in the Spirit.
Hug with gusto.
Serve others.
Be joyful.
Create.
Give.
Stay Positive.
Sometimes I wonder if Maddie and I can close the developmental gap.  Maybe if we work hard enough, and I find the right method of teaching, and take advantage of the early years...I fantasize about her being the first child with Down Syndrome to break the barrier and change what's possible.  Then I chastise myself and remind myself it really doesn't matter that she know her ABC's the same time kids her age know them. 

What's more important in this teaching role of mine, is that she learn what is important in life.  We'll still work on the basics-colors, shapes, numbers, etc.  But I know life is short.  I know there are so many lessons to teach.  I'll teach about life and living and loving and hopefully she will know why I chose each of these statements and understand how beautiful and precious these lives of ours are.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment