About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Raw Milk



My sister-in-law recommended a book Real Food by Nina Planck.  I picked it up at the library and Kyle has already finished reading it.  It's next on my list.  Because of this book we ventured out last weekend and found a local farm selling fresh raw milk (for only $4 a gallon!)  The farmers have a small barn with a refrigerator and a cash box.  You leave your money and take your milk.  Ours must have been REALLY fresh.  It was still lukewarm! 
We've been having so much fun with this milk.  We skimmed the cream off the top and made homemade butter.  We had the best fresh peaches from Colorado and made peaches and cream!
I used to drink my coffee black, but now I put cream in it
And yesterday I made a bechamel sauce that was sooooo good! 
I have never been a fan of milk.  In fact, I remember when I was little I kept asking begging Mom for milk, but she knew I wouldn't drink it because I never did.  Finally, she gave me the milk and told me no matter what, I had to finish that glass of milk.  I took two sips and remembered why I hated milk.  I set it on the counter and later that day that glass of milk became a power struggle.  Mom won and I had to drink sour milk yelch! She claims she didn't know it had soured, but I have never had another glass of milk since then unless is was chocolate.  (on a side note, I did learn a valuable lesson that day.  I distinctly remember never again to ask for something food related unless I was certain I would eat it!)

Kyle persuaded me to give milk another chance.  It was really good! 

3 comments:

  1. Okay Sam I am a Milk-aholic, so I must know where you got this from......email me please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to be next door neighbors. You guys supply the chickens and we'll get a dairy cow!

    ReplyDelete