About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Little Thanksgiving Project

ATTENTION MADDIE'S GRANDPARENTS AND GREAT-GRANDPARENTS:
WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IS A SPOILER ALERT FOR SOMETHING COMING YOUR WAY!!
IF YOU PREFER TO BE SURPRISED ABORT THIS BLOG POST NOW!!

OK, just had to give a heads-up.  We made a little something for the grandparents and great-grandparents on Friday.  So much fun!  Maddie absolutely loves getting her hands messy so I knew this would go over well.  
At first she was interested in the texture of the cotton ball and painting with it.
But then it got a little gloppy.  
So as with every painting project, she ended up using her good 'ole hands!

 A note to my Mommy friends...even though I know how much Maddie loves to paint the thought of getting out all of the supplies and cleaning up the mess, sometimes often times deters the activity.  But I have to say, this wasn't a great big mess and we really had a great time. Here's a few tips to make it easier to clean:
1) use a smock...I just used an old t-shirt and cut off the bottom to Maddie's height.
2) I like to use these trays from Lakeshore Learning.  They are a great size and it helps define a boundary.  I just tell Maddie to "keep it on the tray" and so far she hasn't tried to repaint the walls or table or anything else!
3) I planned this for a time when I could take her straight to the bath.  Maddie was in heaven...first painting then bath!!  
4) Use washable paint. I like these paints (again from Lakeshore Learning).  I've tried other {cheaper} paints, and I think quality really does matter...even with children's paints.  The other paints were not nearly as vibrant and seemed runny, so Maddie had much better "success" with these. 
That's it.  Hope you find some time to paint with your little ones too! : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment