About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Advent Countdown!!

 This is our advent countdown.  Each stocking has a little activity Maddie will pull out and we'll do together that day. 
Wednesday we had no where we had to be so I worked to get our advent activities all planned out for the month.  This took a lot longer than one might expect, so I thought I would share them with you if this is something you want to do and save you the time!!  I sewed this stockings last year ( I used this template from Martha Stewart) so this year all I had to do was come up with 24 activities.


You could just buy the small little stockings and use them...BIG time saver.
Here are the activities I put in each of the stockings...
Make Gingerbread Houses
Look at Christmas Lights
Make homemade Christmas cards
Make Christmas play dough
Bake Gingerbread ornaments
Drink Hot Chocolate
Play Christmas music and dance!
Watch Christmas Show together
Have Birthday Party for Jesus
Sleepover in living room under tree
Santa’s beard advent
Finger paint with Christmas colors
Read Luke 2:8-11 make angel craft
Hide and Seek- find Christmas prayer in house
Read Matt.2:11 and decorate #3
Make moldable snow
Light a Christmas Candle
Drop money in red Salvation Army bucket
Retell Christmas story with puppets
Read Matt. 2:2 and go out and see the stars
Read Luke 2:12  Create a baby Jesus craft
Visit Santa
Make paper chain
Christmas Contact Paper collage
(Hopefully, you should be able to right click, copy, and paste in a Word document.)  If that doesn't work, email me and I'll send you a copy.  
Yesterday we started Santa's beard.  We'll add a cotton ball each day until Christmas!


Some of my favorite activities I'm looking forward to:
Having Hot Chocolate with dinner!
Sleepover in living room under tree!
Reading scripture about the star that shone when Jesus was born and going out to star gaze.
Reading scripture about Jesus being the light of the world and lighting a Christmas candle.  
Make moldable snow - use 5 cups of flour and 1 cup baby oil {super easy}

And here's another option I found for advent activities after I spent all that time coming up with ideas.  I might have to try this next year!
Hope that helps if you want to try doing an advent countdown with your kiddos.  It's not too late to start!!
Maddie is at the perfect age this year to really have a lot of fun with Christmas!  I can't wait to open our next stocking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment