About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Glasses Update

For those of you who follow my blog, you probably remember back in January a post about Maddie needing glasses.  I wasn't completely convinced glasses were necessary so I wanted a second opinion.  We set an appointment for the Dean McGee Eye Institute.  It took 6 weeks to get in, but we finally had our appointment yesterday. 
I wasn't sure how this appointment would go.  Maddie hasn't taken a nap the last three days and here we were, heading to the appointment with no nap!  She was in her element though.  Meeting new people!  What a lovely way to spend the day!  She charmed and "talked" to everyone in the waiting room.  I had filled out all of the paperwork they sent through the mail, but when I got there, they told me they had sent the wrong forms. I had to fill out several forms while Maddie was busy "exploring". 
They called us back before I had time to finish the paperwork, and Maddie had a really gross dirty diaper.  Not to mention all of our props to keep child in one place toys were strewn all over the floor!  I quickly scooped up all of our toys, gathered the paperwork, and apologized for Maddie's stinkiness.  I told the nurse she would probably want me to change her diaper before we got too far into the exam.  She agreed!  It was that stinky!  I didn't have a little bag to put the stinky diaper in so I had to use a ziploc bag I had the wipes in...and keep it with me...gross!  Later, I just couldn't bring myself to use the rest of those wipes, so they were all tossed out. : ) 
After 2 hours I heard the verdict...she really does need glasses!  Dr. Trigler (who was amazing!) really explained it well and now I understand.  Maddie has been doing so well, she can obviously see things in her environment; she points out pictures in books, she never trips or falls over things in her way, she will bring me specific items on the floor, etc.  so I just didn't understand why she really needed glasses.  The Dr. explained that her brain is having to tell the eyes to really focus on things and it overcompensates for her farsightedness and that's whey she sometimes crosses her eyes.  The glasses aren't for her to see more clearly, the purpose is more for her brain to relax and not tell her eyes to overcompensate.  Otherwise, he said she would begin crossing her eyes all of the time instead of every once in a while.  Ahhh, OK.  Makes perfect sense now. 
So...we are now on a mission to find glasses.  I think I'm going to have to get a pair for Elmo too.  I'm hoping if Elmo wears glasses, she will too!  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment