About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Practice Shopping Trip

In order to prevent a repeat of this next time we go to the grocery store, I decided it was time to teach Maddie how to go shopping while walking alongside Mommy.  I cannot believe we are old enough to ditch the cart!  We need a few practice shopping trips before we are ready for the big grocery store excursion, so I took her to Hobby Lobby yesterday.  I didn't need to shop for anything, and if everything went south we could quickly bail.
Maddie was hilarious!  When we first walked in, I offered a choice to ride in the cart or walk with Mommy.  Obvious choice, right?  So, we picked up a basket.  She wanted to help so she held one side and I took the other and off we went. 
Our first aisle was the Easter aisle!  Maddie was in heaven!
She really liked the Easter grass, particularly the pink varieties.  Girl doesn't need any practice shopping!  She knows exactly what to do!
After she put four packages in the basket I told her it was time to clean up, and we began to sing the clean up song.  She put every one of them back on the shelf and we were off to the next aisle.
She found this little chick and began "singing".  When she sings, it really just comes out like, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH."  We got a few stares because she was really loud, but it was so funny. 
She tried to run off only once and it was a good time to teach her to stay with Mommy.  The other issue was touching every single thing on the shelves and wanting to pick them up.  BREAKABLES! YIKES!  I learned this trick from a friend of mine...I told her she could use one finger and touch them (gently).  It worked.  She proceeded to use her little pointer finger and touch, touch, touch everything up and down the aisle.  It even sounded like she was trying to say, "touch".  And sometimes it sounded like she was trying to say, "finger."  I kept repeating, "one finger, one finger!" 
All in all it was a good practice shopping trip.  I'm going to have to figure out what I can do with these little cuties.
I think I was just as excited to see all of the Easter stuff as Maddie was!  What a great holiday! 
Happy Weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. I used those chicks in my spring I Spy Bag. I fell in love with them the moment I saw them. :)

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/70969764/limited-edition-i-spy-bag-spring

    ReplyDelete