About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Remembering the Good Things


I try to switch out Maddie's toys periodically.  I even created a spreadsheet with a schedule (hee hee : )   (too much?) I know what you are thinking.  You've wondered if you've accidentally landed on the wrong blog by mistake. No, you're in the right place! It's true I am not an organizer by nature, but I do have my moments every now and then! Although before I get too proud of myself, I have to confess I haven't actually followed through with the planned schedule to actually rotate the toys! (there, see- the world is as it should be) Anyway, Maddie found some toy cars I had put back and it was like she was reacquainted with a long lost friend! I think she remembered them from months ago!

I've heard that children with Down Syndrome have incredible memories.  One friend was telling me about her 18-yr-old daughter with DS who not only remembered every single person's birthday but which birthday they were celebrating!  When she met someone new she would ask their name and the day of their birthday.
That's one of the sweetest things I've ever heard!
We met with the Moore Public Schools today to discuss placing Maddie in the Special Needs Preschool.  She "qualifies" based on "cognitive delays".  I find it interesting how God has made these little minds to work.  She may not be "cognitively ready" for potty training or formulating sentences, but she remembers every single toy that has crossed her path and made her happy.  In our American culture, it's sometimes hard to re-define our definition of success.  Honestly, it's been a hard day.  It's hard to hear your child qualifies for a program based solely on her "cognitive delays." But I think I remembered the story of the birthdays and saw this example in Maddie for a reason today.  I have to remember what's really important in life.  I have to remember it's only society that places so much value in education and Maddie's definition of success will not be in how many questions she can get right on a test...but rather how many people she can make feel special and loved.  I think I like that standard of success better anyway!  So, take that "cognitive delay"!  For some reason it makes me feel better to put the phrase in quotes.  You know, it's the little things.

On a completely different note, we will be making a trip back to the optical shop tomorrow...

Maddie has slowly become more and more brave in taking her glasses off by herself.  Today I found her trying to put them on her doll and twisting the ear piece in the process.  Thank goodness for warranties! 

1 comment:

  1. Both you and Maddie are absolutely beautiful! Thank you for another inspiring (tear-jerking) blog. Jill L.

    ReplyDelete