About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Maddie's First Hair Cut (trim)

(To understand the trim reference read this post)
It has become pretty comical around here trying to get Maddie's hair combed out and in a pony tail.  The name of the game is distraction...most often it's been Elmo on Sesame Street.  I try to get in a few combs while she's sitting still watching her bestest friend tell her all about what's on his mind. A few pulls and tugs on the tangles and she takes off running!  I feel like I'm roping a calf at the Rodeo tying in a pony tail as quick as I can!

The net result is lots of bumps and tangles that never really get combed out, just thrown back in the pony tail!  So, I knew it was finally time for Maddie to get her first hair cut.  She doesn't necessarily communicate with words, but I know exactly what she thinks of her long hair.  She was so over it!

So, Maddie and I headed over to Car Michael's Salon yesterday.
This is how long her hair had gotten!
She sat in the big chair with no problems and loved seeing herself in the mirror!
There were times she was really enjoying herself!
Although it seemed like I was floundering in the roping calves category, this wasn't Kelly's first Rodeo!
He knew exactly what he was doing, and even pretended to give Elmo a little trim!
 She respected that, and made peace with the comb too...a feat this Momma could never do!!
 We stopped on the way home and bought some new clips for her new hairdo!  I can't believe it!  She looks so big and grown up and so beautiful!!
And this is what she thinks of her hair now!
Thanks Kelly!  You did an awesome job! 

2 comments:

  1. Love her new haircut. It will be great for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool! Thank you!!! she is a beauty!
    kelly

    ReplyDelete