About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Picture Me (im)perfectly Sewing

Last week, a fellow blogging Mommy over at Capturing Motherhood told me about her project, Picture me {im}perfectly.  It's a place to poke a little fun at ourselves and have a good laugh at life.  I knew I had LOTS of material to be able to link up so here goes!
I'm a creative person.  If I'm not busy with a project, I'm not balanced.  Since I've had Maddie my interest in sewing has peaked.  I may be crazy but I really believe there is something that happens when we give our little ones something we made all by ourselves.  It seems like its loved a little deeper and cared for a little more tenderly.  Maybe they sense the love and care we have put into making the item. 
So, on the heels of a few successful projects recently like Maddie's Easter dress

I decided to tackle the beach robe!  
After SEVEN YARDS of bias tape (what!?), I am hereby declaring war on the stuff!  Bias tape is now my arch enemy and I'm determined to conquer it...someday.  But not today.
At first glance, you may think I did a  pretty stellar job...
but then if you look close...
 you'll see the tie is being held on by a safety pin...
and I'm pretty sure this seam isn't supposed to look like this!
not to mention all of the scragglies.
 and see what stupid bias tape can do for you!!
But regardless of my imperfections...Maddie still LOVES it!!  On this particular day, she wouldn't let me take it off.  So, this reinforces my theory on the connection our little ones feel to the things we make (or attempt to make) for them. It's all worthwhile, time well spent.  I can guarantee I will be sewing more creations for Maddie in the future, but my next project will most certainly NOT have bias tape!!  I'll let you know when I DO conquer bias tape (because I will), but first I'll get a few more successes under my belt. 
  

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when we really think we screwed something up and or kids love it just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little one is ADORABLE! I love the photos of her in her Easter dress, what a doll!
    -visiting from Capturing Motherhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is fantastic! the first picture of the robe looked so flawless! thanks for revealing the truth and thanks for linking up!
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete