About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Ever Had a Day Like This?

A day when every time you turn around there's a mess to clean up?  A day when everything seems topsy-turvy and upside down?  I'm sure you can relate!  Let me tell you about our day here at the Schasteen house.  
First, it began with a new hobby Maddie has taken up.  
She has discovered what a great canvas her legs are. 
Next, at our Sooner Start visit we discussed the issue of self-feeding.  Maddie still refuses to use a spoon.  We thought a good motivation might be if I left the table and she could decide to take the spoon on her own.  It's a great idea and I have to say it has worked once before when out of necessity I had to leave her alone at the table so I could get ready for an appointment.  But today was a topsy-turvy day!
Maddie decided to forgot the spoon and revert back to the use of her good, old-fashioned hand.  Not only that, but it would be rude to not share with Gracie, so she flung a good amount down for Gracie.  But instead of hitting the floor, she actually hit Gracie.  Gracie's ears and back were covered with applesauce!
Next, I noticed these odd little spots all over the floor.  I noticed them in the living room...
and in the bedroom...
and in the entry of the bathroom...
and in the bathroom...
What in the world?  I had to get down and study these silly spots.  After careful examination, I finally figured out what they were.  While I was busy putting on my make-up, Maddie was playing in it.  It was harmless play, just stacking things up.  But I forgot about an eye shadow stick I had.  It broke off...and then Maddie stepped on it.  It was embedded in her sandal, so every time she stepped she left a little something behind.  Any suggestions on how to get a waxy-type eye shadow out of carpet?! (yikes!)
Next, we went out to eat at Johnny Carino's.  I have to admit, even after a day like this some messes can be fun and funny!  Maddie really enjoyed her fettuccine. 
sorry about the poor picture quality...taken with Kyle's cell phone : )  
Later we get home and Maddie has found a case of 20 water bottles obviously asking for freedom.  Maddie obliged.  
every, single one of them found their freedom
and freeing put-away water bottles is exhausting work...
The most ironic part of today is the fact that after reading Barbara Curtis' wonderful book, Mommy Teach Me!  I discovered Maddie is in a sensitive period  for order.  Barbara Curtis also suggested letting little ones be a part of your daily chores.  So we made a chart and began using it today of all days!!
Did you know you can write on the dishwasher with dry erase markers?!  They work great!  I took pictures of our chores, unloading dishwasher, load washing machine, load dryer, and fold clothes.  Then I printed them out and glued magnets on the back.  
Maddie did great helping out with the chores.  She knows exactly where the silverware goes and was able to put a few dishes away that were within her reach.  She's great at loading the washer and dryer, and we have not tackled folding laundry yet!  I think that will have to wait until tomorrow after this topsy-turvy day!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! :)

    I have heard that to remove wax from table cloths or carpets, you can heat an iron and lay a clean cloth over the waxy area. Then apply the iron on the cloth until the wax is liquified and absorbed by the cloth. I don't know if this would work or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post. can't relate at all (hah, i wish!)
    my son also has a chromosomal abnormality. i simply adore the little peek that you provide into your life on your blog.
    i have started a weekly project called
    picture me {im}perfectly
    http://capturingmotherhood.blogspot.com/2011/07/picture-me-imperfectlyoverwhelmed.html
    and was wondering if you'd be willing to link up a recent, past or future blog post that deals with similar topics.
    i hope and think and pray that this is going to move hearts in blogland.
    xoxo.
    hill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hill! It's so nice to meet you! I signed up to follow your blog...turns out I'm number 100! I thought that was cool. I love your project! Will definitely contribute. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of blogland : )

    ReplyDelete