About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Measuring Up


These are amazing bubbles from Gymboree.  Maddie goes crazy over them!  They will float in the air long after they've made their debut from the bubble wand.  And when they land on something, they don't always pop!  I've been known to find a bubble patiently resting on the back of the couch hours after they've been blown. 
Anyway, this picture got me thinking about motherhood.  Actually, I've been thinking about it...check out my latest selections from the library. : ) 
from top to bottom:  Lord Meet Me in the Laundry Room, Barbara Curtis; The Creative Family, Barbara Blake Soule; Mommy, Teach Me!, Barbara Curtis; and Simplicity Parenting, Kim John Payne
 Sometimes I think we can be exposed to too much information.  There's a few blogs I like read to get ideas on things to do with Maddie, but most of the time after I finish reading them, instead of feeling inspired, I feel discouraged like I'm not measuring up.  Unfortunately, I think it's easy for a new mom to slip into this realm of inadequacy.  It's a fine balance to want to be the very best you can be, and trying to measure up to an unrealistic standard.
When this happens, Kyle reminds me of all the wonderful things Maddie does, and reassures me I'm doing just fine and I believe him...until I read another blog!  Why does this happen?  I think we all want to be the very best mothers we possibly can, and when we think we are not doing things perfectly we worry we are not enough for our children.  The thought pierces through to the innermost sanctum of my soul and it takes all that's in me (Christ Jesus) to know that it's an absolute lie.  It helps to try and keep things with Maddie fun and light-hearted.  It's actually easy to do with a 2-yr-old.  There's so much humor in the toddler years like this...

The other day Maddie was riding along in the shopping cart at the grocery store.  I looked down and she had taken a huge bite out of the lemon rind...and ate it!  This was after another trip when she decided the jalepeno looked pretty tasty too!  Apparently it was, because she never fussed about it being too hot : )

 Happy 4th of July!  Here's to keeping things fun and light-hearted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment