About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Rethinking Toys

I've been reading this book...
I highly recommend it!  It's really interesting startling how the busyness and stuff in our lives has affected our children's development and quality of life.  Kim John Payne has noticed the same symptoms in our children as children in war-torn countries like Africa who experience classic symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome.  Wow, really?!
So, many of Maddie's toys have found their way to Goodwill in our attempts to simplify and de-clutter.  It's only been a couple of days but I have noticed Maddie has been more creative lately.  Like in the bath the other night, she was really studying the patterns of the water when she swiped her hand across the surface.  Like REALLY studying.  She would gently swipe her hand and watch very carefully.  Then, some of her bath toys came floating up, breaking her concentration and it made her mad!  She tossed them to the back of the bathtub with disgust. Who needs toys when you have your hand!
Yesterday, she found a stack of napkins on the table and took to exploring them.  It's just fascinating to watch, and I caught a few pictures of the process. 


Poor Gracie...eventually everything get stacked on her back!  I don't think she minds too much. 

1 comment: