About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

joy of LOVE photo workshop Day 4

I've fallen a bit behind...
It's just that this prompt stopped me right in my tracks.  The topic?  What they wear.

Seems completely innocent and straightforward, but for me it was loaded down with heavy emotional connotations.  It seems ridiculous even typing this out right now like I'm completely vain, but when you realize you have a daughter who, at first glance, the world may not see the beauty those of us who are completely in love with her see, this Mommy bear wants to protect her any way I can.  My strategy?  Get the absolute cutest outfits so the first thing the world will see is CUTE.  And then with first impressions out of the way, they may see Down Syndrome but their hearts will already be stolen. 

Honestly, for the most part we have been enveloped with such warmth every where we go it has surrounded us and protected us and these futile, vain thoughts of appearance and first impressions may just be wasted energy.  But just when you think the bubble is protecting you from anything negative...it POPS!  Like the day we went to the pumpkin patch and Maddie was laughed at for looking "funny".  You can read about that day here.
So that's why 6 days later, I'm finally ready to participate.  I do love all of Maddie's cute, little outfits but I'm taking a different approach.  Here's what she wears nearly every day:
  We (I) decided to go with cloth diapers when Maddie was born.  I love our Fuzzi Bunz.  In 2 1/2 years I can count on one hand the number of rashes she has had.  Not to mention the money we have saved!  Plus, do I get extra points for saving the environment?  : )  We still have disposable diapers on hand and if Daddy is watching her you can guarantee she'll be in disposables!  But using cloth diapers helps me feel better and somehow in some weird way, in my mind, seems to balance out too much focus on what Maddie wears.

No comments:

Post a Comment