About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Building Blocks

We have reached a milestone! 
We have had these blocks for over a year now.  We've played with them, but Maddie never really seemed all that interested.  But for the first time yesterday, she took the initiative to build with them!  It seems so simple, but stacking several blocks is a huge fine motor development that eventually leads to developing the balance and strength needed to use scissors or write with a pencil!  We are so excited around here!
It's been fascinating to see Maddie moving through each developmental milestone.  Each step is a "building block" for the next, and for this Child Development major I have loved seeing it all come together bit by bit.  I used to pray for patience, since it seemed like the process was taking longer than I thought it should, but now I revel in the pace because we notice the little things and celebrate BIG time when we hit a milestone!

No comments:

Post a Comment