About Me

My photo
After being told I would never be able to have children, I am now a stay-at-home Mommy to Maddie who happens to have Down Syndrome. I've been married 16 years to my best friend, having the time of my life. Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our little journey through life.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Introducing Green Smoothies...

When I first heard my brother-in-law and his wife were on a 50% raw food diet, I honestly didn't know what to think.  But when we saw them and they showed us their Vitamix and then made a green smoothie for us, I was more than intrigued.  This particular smoothie had romaine lettuce, flax seed, apples, pears, mangoes, kiwi, raw honey, and dates.  I know it seems like a weird combination, but these smoothies are surprisingly very tasty!
The health benefits are ridiculously amazing.  It's exactly what Kyle and I have been wanting, we just didn't know it.  By the end of the trip, we had already ordered our own Vitamix and we are now anxiously awaiting its arrival!  In the meantime, I have used our blender to create some green smoothies.  We have made spinach, mango, strawberry, pineapple, and peaches smoothie.  Right now Maddie is drinking a swiss chard, beet, strawberry, and blueberry smoothie in her sippy cup (very watered down)! : )  It's a great way to get the littles to "drink" their vegetables.  If you are intrigued like I was, this site and this site are a good places to start.  A toast to health in 2011...now its time for me drink up!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! It just feels right, doesn't it? So delicious and not one scrap of it is unhealthy. Ryan and I were both craving our smoothies soooo badly when we arrived home to a completely empty fridge. Neither of us wanted to eat a thing until we went to the store and got the stuff to make our smoothies. I made a terrible one yesterday, though. Steer clear of a mature (rather than a young) coconut. Blech. Tasted like drinking plastic shards.

    ReplyDelete